The Government Degree College Dera Ghazi Khan was established in 1945 and Professor Syed Saadat Ali Shah (the author of Exploring the World of English) was its founder Principal. 109 students were enrolled in its first session .
But his successor Prof. Ghulam Abbas worked day and night and by his sincere efforts the college was shifted from the Hindu School to the premises of the present Commerce College. The college earned the permanent status in 1951 and was shifted to its present premises in 1964.
The F.Sc classes were started in 1950 and classes for B.Sc in Chemistry and in Physics were started in 1960 later to be added the classes of B.Sc Botany and Zoology in 1974. In 1986 classes of M.A. Urdu and M.A. Islamic Studies were the poineer classes of the postgraduate block and in 1989 M.A.English, M.A. Political Science and M.Sc Mathematics. Physics Botany . Zoology and Economics were also added . Now the college offers admission in BS 4 Years Degree Programme.
To provide quality education by generating an amalgam of polishing cognitive abilities and inducing
soft skills with the objective that our students should have ability to cope with the modern
competitive world and market prerequisites.
"Enlightenment through learning"